The Special Police Unit of National Child Protection Authority was established as an appropriate step to fulfill the power vested with the Section 14 (g),(k) which emphasized the responsibilities to monitor the implementation of laws relating to all forms of child abuse and to receive complains from public relating to child abuse and where necessary to refer such complains to the appropriate authorities respectively.
Functions of Special Police Unit of NCPA:
- Forwarding complains of child abuses receipt via 1929 child helpline to relevant divisional police stations and calling first report within 48 hours regarding the actions taken for relevant complain and direct for further actions after analyzing reports.
- Providing consistent 24 hours Special Police Investigation service on 365 days to fulfill the above task
- Conducting investigations on complains received to NCPA through electronic medias, telephone calls, letters and personal presentations of complainant as per the instructions & directions of Chairman NCPA.
- Directing child victims for forensic medical tests & counseling assistance, take necessary measures to fulfill the rights of child victims and carry on legal actions for the protection and guardianship of vulnerable and victimized children
- Arresting suspects during the investigation process, conducting investigations, steering & executing court procedures
- Producing citations for abuses reporting to authority, forwarding for attorney general’s recommendations and coordinating
- Updating & maintaining court records, periodic reports pertaining to above investigations and provide fact based reports for above cases
- Coordinating between Department of Probation and Child Care, Forensic Medicine Office, Department for Registration of Persons, Department of Immigration and Emigration, Tele Communication companies & Ministry of Education during investigation process of child abuses.
- Conducting awareness programmes for schools & communities, government, private sector & non- governmental professionals on prevention of child abuses
- Issuing complain copies to clients
- Executing consistent follow-ups on victimized children / Child victims
- Handling victims during video evidence recording